Male and female students in the library cafe

How will Brexit affect students?

Tuition fees, student loans, travel and exchange programmes

We are firmly committed to the maintenance of a diverse and multicultural staff and student body and to the benefits of teaching, learning and research that our European collaborations bring. The purpose of this page is to provide students some information and guidance on key Brexit matters related to their study, or intention to study, at the University.

Advice to EU students

The UK exited the EU on the 31 January 2020 with a withdrawal deal agreed. From 1 February 2020 we moved into a post-Brexit transition period which is scheduled to end on 31 December 2020.

Students from the EU who hold an offer with us to start in the academic year 2020/21, or who are considering applying in the future, can find information on this page about studying in the UK following Brexit or .

Please check regularly for the most up-to-date information.

Last update: 26 October 2020

Tuition fees

In May 2019, the UK government confirmed that EU students starting university in the 2020/21 academic year will have guaranteed home fee status and financial support for the duration of their course. This applies to the undergraduate, postgraduate taught and postgraduate research programmes.

EU students starting in the 2021/22 and 2022/23 academic year will receive the Transition Scholarship, so you'll pay the same amount as a UK student.

You can see the fees you'll pay with the scholarship applied on each course page.

To find out the latest information about tuition fees for EU students, .

Last update: 8 April 2021

EU student visa requirements

The type of visa you will require will depend on when you arrive in the UK.

If you are a СƵ offer holder who is an EU, EEA or Swiss national and your course starts before 31 December 2020, you will not require a visa in order to study in the UK before this date.

In order to protect your rights after the UK leaves the EU (meaning you can come to the UK to study, live and work after you have finished your degree), you will need to make an application under the after you have arrived in the UK, and before 30 June 2021. The application process is easy, user-friendly and free of charge.

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and intend to arrive in the UK on or after 1 January 2021, you will need to apply for a student visa under the UK Government's new Student Route. Read our information about the Student Route. More information is on .

Please note you will need to apply before arriving in the UK.


Until we have clarity around the UK’s transition period from the European Union, it is not possible to provide students with specific travel advice. Students are advised to keep up-to-date with information on and consider that there might be some delays at entry points into the UK and into EU countries.

If you have any queries that are not covered on this page please contact for further guidance.

You may also find the helpful.

Erasmus+ update

As a result of the UK leaving the European Union, we won't be able to offer the Erasmus+ scheme after May 2023. But, if you study with us between now and May 2023, you may still be able to apply to take part in Erasmus+. For the academic year 2022/23, we’re in discussions with EU partners to ensure current opportunities to study abroad remain.

The UK Government as a replacement scheme for Erasmus+. The Turing Scheme will allow you to study and work in countries around the world. We'll update this page with more information when the details of the Turing scheme firm up.

If you join Erasmus+, you’ll still need to consider how you may be affected by changes to travel, immigration and any other practical arrangements as a result of the UK’s departure from the EU.

For further information about Erasmus+, please visit our age about studying and working abroad.